My husband sent me a link to an EDN page featuring a video covering dating advice for engineers. I want to start by saying that the video was very amusing, so the following is in no way meant as disparaging. However, it was also very guy-centric, and I wondered what sort of dating advice might be useful for female engineers (which, the video says, are hypothetical…like Bigfoot).
So my advice would be:
- Ignore any guy who says that female engineers are unattractive. He’s just bitter because he can’t find a date. It’s karma. He’s probably also an engineer.
- You’ll probably want to date another engineer, or maybe a scientist. Otherwise you won’t have anything to talk about. (Well, maybe if you have hobby in common. HAM radio, anyone?) And saying things like “Higgs Boson” will be just fine.
- You’ll probably want to date another engineer because, given your salary, you’re likely to make a non-engineer somewhat jealous…unless he’s a lawyer or doctor, but then you run into the conversation problem again.
- Ask your friends for advice on clothes…but don’t wear anything that doesn’t make you comfortable. If you’re dating an engineer, don’t worry about your clothes.
- It’s perfectly fine to ask a guy out. If he’s the shy, nerdy type, there’s a chance he’ll really appreciate it. If he’s an engineer, he’s probably also clueless and anything more subtle will be off his radar.
- Don’t date any guy who seems jealous of your career or other men. Think about it: you’re surrounded by men all the time…how will he deal?!
- Make sure that if you enjoyed the date, you tell him you’d like to see him again. If he’s engineer, it’s probably a good idea to tell him specifically when and where otherwise he may not take the hint…or he’ll assume you mean immediately.
Just so you know, I checked with my husband, who is also an engineer, and he verified that my advice about dating male engineers was sound.